Last Updated on April 5, 2023 by Jerome Donovan
You have changed your phone number and need to access your PayPal account again. However, you need to log into PayPal without phone number since you won’t be able to verify the confirmation code texted to the number. That’s okay: in fact, it’s normal that you forgot to update your contact information in the settings.
The good news is that you’re not screwed — at least not yet, with a few other available alternatives. So, in this article, we’ll discuss how you can get back into your PayPal account without your registered phone number.
How to log into PayPal without phone number
Below are the ways to log into PayPal without phone number:
1. The shopping trick
Here’s a sort of trick I came up with when I found myself in the “phone number” situation to log into PayPal without phone number:
Step 1: Hop on an online store where PayPal is accepted as a mode of payment. You can go to any online store that comes to your mind but you just need to make sure it’s a low-priced purchase so you don’t end up paying a huge ‘penalty’ just to log in to your PayPal account.
Step 2: Follow through with the steps needed to make a payment. But keep in mind that you don’t actually have to go through with this purchase.
Just enter your PayPal login info (email address and password) when asked, but DO NOT CONFIRM the payment. That should open a small window on your device showing you logged into your PayPal account.
Step 3: Go ahead and open a new tab or window from the same browser and visit PayPal’s dashboard. That’s all, you’re in.
2. Login with your email address
Another option is to use your email address to log into PayPal. When you log into PayPal, click on “Having trouble logging in?” and then select “I don’t know my password.” You’ll be prompted to enter your email address, and PayPal will send you a password reset link.
3. Login with PayPal one-time code
PayPal One-Time Code is a security feature that generates a unique code each time you attempt to log in to your account. This code is sent to your phone via SMS, and it’s used as an additional layer of security to confirm that it’s really you trying to access your account.
To log in with PayPal One-Time Code, follow these steps:
- Go to the PayPal login page and enter your email address or mobile number.
- On the next screen, click on the “Having trouble logging in?” link located below the “Log In” button.
- Select the option to receive a One-Time Code by text message to your phone number on file with PayPal.
- Wait for the code to arrive via SMS, and then enter it in the space provided.
- Click on “Continue” to access your PayPal account.
Remember that the One-Time Code is only valid for a short time, typically a few minutes, so make sure to use it promptly. If you have any issues with this process, you can contact PayPal customer service for further assistance.
4. Go incognito
Switch your browser to incognito mode, also known as private browsing on some browsers. This way, PayPal no longer has your old cookies, so they may not ask to verify your phone number before you can log in.
To log into PayPal in incognito mode, follow these steps:
- Open a private or incognito window in your web browser. The method for doing this varies depending on the browser you’re using, but typically, you can find the option to open a new private or incognito window in the settings or menu.
- In the private or incognito window, go to the PayPal login page.
- Enter your email address or mobile number and password to log in to your account.
5. Download the PayPal app
Downloading the PayPal app on your phone might help you log into PayPal without phone number. Usually, logging in through the app doesn’t require authentication. After logging in, you can remove the old phone number to avoid similar issues in the future.
In case this solution doesn’t work, please don’t hesitate to contact us for further assistance. You can get in touch by clicking on the “help and contact” link located at the bottom of any PayPal page.
6. Contact PayPal
To contact PayPal, you can click on the “help/contact” link located at the bottom left of any PayPal page. Here are some options available:
- PayPal phone support is gradually reopening and increasing in numbers. If you can’t log in, you can use the guest option to access the phone number.
- Live chat support may also be randomly available.
- You can send a message to PayPal. During business hours, you may even be able to send a message while logged out.
- Another option is to contact customer service via Facebook or Twitter. You can send them a personal message from their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/PayPal, or by tweeting @AskPayPal on Twitter.
Why does PayPal need my phone number?
The reason PayPal needs your phone number is simply for security reasons. It’s a way for PayPal to verify your identity when you want to log into your account or make a transaction.
In addition to this, it’s also a way for PayPal to contact you if they suspect any suspicious activity on your account.
Tips to keeping your PayPal account secure
Now that you know how to log into PayPal without a phone number, let’s talk about how you can keep your PayPal account secure.
1. Use a strong password
Make sure that you use a strong password for your PayPal account. Your password should be at least 8 characters long and should include a mix of upper and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters.
2. Enable Two-Factor Authentication (2FA)
This adds an extra layer of security to your account by requiring a unique code in addition to your password when you log in.
3. Keep a watchful eye on your account
Regularly monitor your PayPal account for any suspicious activity. If you notice any unauthorized transactions or changes to your account, report them to PayPal immediately. Sometimes, merely sharing your PayPal link with a potential scammer may leave your account exposed.
What if none of these methods work?
Having no luck at all? Don’t panic, simply reach out to PayPal customer care by clicking on “Contact us” on the PayPal website, and they will be more than glad to assist you in getting back into your PayPal account.
You can also reach out to PayPal on their social media platforms such as Twitter @AskPayPal, Facebook, and others for 24/7 support.
How do I log into PayPal if my phone number has changed?
According to PayPal, you can do this by:
- Go to ‘Settings’
- Click ‘Security’
- Click ‘Update’ next to “2-step verification.”
- Click ‘Turn Off’ right next to 2-step verification, and then click the ‘Turn It Off’ button.
This method works best if you can still access your PayPal account or are not yet logged out.
Final thoughts – log into PayPal without phone number
Logging into PayPal without a phone number is possible. Luckily, this article has been able to address the various ways you can do this.
However, you need to remember that PayPal requires your phone number to protect your account from being compromised, so you must make sure that you take extra precautions to keep your account secure.
Lastly, remember to always keep your personal info strictly ‘personal’.